Contact Us

Starting a Business


BizPaL Business Permits and Licences

Looking to start or grow your business?

BizPaL is an online service that allows you, the entrepreneur or business owner, a central place to find all the permit and licence information needed to start or grow your business.

Based on some generic information that you provide about your business, you will generate a complete list of needed permits and licences from the municipal, provincial, and federal levels of government in one place.

  • Easy and Convenient
  • One stop access to permit and licence information
  • Accessible anytime

Launch the BizPaL Service

New & Existing Business Owners - Save Time - Save Money - Reduce Liability
Contact Public Health before you open your business or begin renovations. Learn more

The Town of Hanover recognizes the needs of business and supports the entrepreneurial spirit of small business! Town of Hanover Comprehensive Zoning By-law defines a "Home Occupation" as a business conducted entirely within a dwelling that is zoned Residential Type 1 (R1) and is operated only by the occupant(s) of the private residence, provided they can comply with the following conditions:

(a) such home occupation is clearly secondary to and compatible with the principal use of the dwelling for residential purposes;

(b) no external alteration of the dwelling shall be permitted such as the inclusion of any specialized structure, ramps or oversize entrances which will change the character of the dwelling unit as a private residence;

(c) there shall be no external display of goods, materials, wares or merchandise, or exterior advertising other than a legal sign to indicate to persons outside that the dwelling or lot is being used for other than residential purposes.

(d) such home occupation shall not create a nuisance or hazard to neighbours by reason of noise emission, vibration, smoke, dust, fumes, odour, heat, humidity, glare, debris, refuse, fire, lighting, interference with radio or television reception or hours of operation;

(e) such home occupation shall not result in volumes of vehicular traffic or on-street parking which cause the disruption of normal activities of adjacent residential properties;

(f) there shall be no use of municipal services such as roads, sanitary and storm sewers, water supply and utilities, such as hydro, gas or the generation of waste and refuse beyond that normal to the use of property for residential purposes;

(g) there shall be no mechanical or other equipment used, except that which is customarily used in dwellings for domestic or household purposes;

(h) no outdoor storage of materials or goods in support of such home occupation shall be permitted;

(i) not more than 25% of the gross floor area of the dwelling shall be used for the purposes of the home occupation;

(j) an animal kennel shall not be deemed to be a home occupation;

(k) such home occupation shall meet all of the requirements of this by-law, including the parking provisions;

(l) no person, other than an occupant is engaged in canvassing, delivering or as a go-between in distributing merchandise to customers;

(m) there are no goods, wares or merchandise visually exposed for sale or rent on the premises.

Call 519.364.2780 x 222 to ensure your use is permitted under the Town’s zoning regulations.

If you decide to erect a small sign notifying customers of your business, the following guidelines should be adhered to:

(1) One (1) sign is permitted providing it is no larger than .745 square meters (8.0 square feet) in size. The sign may be suitably placed on the building or in the front yard, providing the top of the sign is not more than 1 meter (3.28 feet) above the ground level, and back a minimum of 3 meters (9.84 feet) from the front and side property line.

(2) No person shall erect any sign in a Residential Type 1 (R1) zone which is mechanized in any way or internally illuminated or for any wall (fascia) sign does not project any greater than 4 inches.

Starting & Managing a Not-For-Profit Organization

Service Ontario has launched a new section for not-for-profits in Ontario making it faster and easier for organizations to get the services and information they need to start, operate and grow their NFPs.  The new site features information on government open call programs for funding, ideas on how to start and manage a not-for-profit organization, a section to help organizations understand the laws that affect the sector, research about the sector, government initiatives that support the sector, and much more. Please follow the link to visit this new resource: