INTERNET AND TELEPHONE VOTING
The Town of Hanover has selected to use the internet and telephone voting method for the 2018 municipal election. Paper ballots will not be used. Mail-in ballots will not be used.
Electors will be able to cast their vote online or by telephone from anywhere they have an internet or telephone connection.
Electors will receive a notice in the mail providing instructions and a secure PIN number to use to vote by either the internet or telephone. Electors are encouraged to vote using either the internet or telephone up to ten days in advance of election day on October 22, 2018. There is no need to wait to vote on election day as there will be no polls.
A help desk will be available at the muncipal office to provide assistance.
- Report CAO-17-16 Municipal and School Board Elections 2018 - Alternative Voting Methods
- By-law 2960-17 Alternative Voting Method for 2018 Municipal Election
ARE YOU ON THE VOTERS LIST?
It is easy for you to find out if you are on the Voters' List. Submit your information in our online Voterview Service and find out if you are on the list. A link to the Voterview Service will be provided in the spring of 2018.
QUALIFICATIONS TO VOTE
On Voting Day a person is qualified to be an Elector if he or she:
- Is a Canadian Citizen;
- Is at least 18 years of age;
- Resides in the Town of Hanover or is an owner or tenant of land in the Town of Hanover, or the spouse of an owner or tenant in the Town of Hanover; and
- Is not prohibited from voting because he or she:
- Is serving a sentence of imprisonment
- Is a corporation
- Is acting as an executor or trustee or in any other representative capacity
- Was convicted of a corrupt practice described in Section 90(3) of the Municipal Elections Act
It is the responsibility of the Elector to ensure they are a qualified elector.
|2018 MUNICIPAL ELECTION CALENDAR|
|Tuesday, May 1, 2018||Nomination Period Commences, s.33.|
|Monday, June 4, 2018||Municipal enumeration forms to be returned to MPAC to ensure inclusion of electors on preliminary list of electors (PLE).|
|Friday, July 27, 2018||Nomination Day (9:00am to 2:00pm)
Withdrawal of nominations before 2:00pm
|Monday, July 30, 2018||Certification of nomination papers before 4:00pm
Acclamations after 4:00pm
|July 31 - September 1, 2018||Receipt of PLE from MPAC on a date between July 31 and September 1 of an election year as agreed upon by the Clerk and MPAC.|
|September 15 - 25, 2018||Prepare and distribute interim list of changes to Voters' List.|
|Monday, October 22, 2018||Voting Day|
|Tuesday, October 23, 2017||Clerk to declare official election results as soon as possible after voting day.|
|Monday, December 3, 2018||Term of office commences, s.6.
New coundil deemed organized when quorum of members have taken declaraton of office.
|Monday, December 31, 2018||Campaign period ends, s.88.24(1-2).|