Hanover intends to realize its economic development vision of being ‘Open for Business’, while ensuring our goal of creating a progressive and evolving framework for long-term prosperity. This CIP program is meant to enable and boost development momentum not only for Hanover, but across the region by offering targeted incentives across the Hanover settlement area. Along with facilitating the revitalization and improvement of the Town of Hanover, the CIP program provides a menu of incentives to promote and support the following types of development and revitalization projects (in line with many of the priorities outlined at the County of Grey level), including:
- Increasing attainable housing stock, including secondary suites, multi-unit housing, purpose built rental housing, rooming house developments and apartment dormitory style developments;
- Promoting the redevelopment and/or conversion of brownfield, vacant, and grey field properties;
- Supporting downtown revitalization of store fronts, publicly used frontages, and streetscapes;
- Supporting the adaptive re-use and improvements of commercial, industrial and institutional buildings;
- Assisting new business startup through interior leasehold or accessibility improvements for commercial space or live/work space;
- Encouraging upgrades and investment in destination infrastructure and promoting intensification in targeted areas;
- Enhancing public/private partnerships to clean-up and/or rehabilitate priority and municipally-owned and acquired sites; and
- Assisting the business community in job creation.
Hanover Downtown Improvement Area (DIA)
Properties within the defined downtown area will receive an additional 10% of the approved grant amount up to a max of $2,000 for facade, building & signage and accessibility improvement grants.
Saugeen Economic Development Corporation (SEDC)
Approved applicants are eligible to access a business improvement loan to provide 50% of matching funds for projects, up to $20,000 with a 5% interest rate and flexible repayment terms.
- Review the set of financial incentive programs outlined in the Community Improvement Plan and the included Financial Incentives Overview of the CIP Application.
- Book a consultation with the Plan Administrator: April Marshall, Economic Development Manager
- Acquire applicable proposals, estimates and sketches for the intended work.
- Complete and submit the application.
Launched in 2014, the Facade Incentive Program has supported a diverse and creative range of projects that have made a significant contribution to the vibrancy of our downtown. The Town of Hanover has invested approximately $235,000 into the grant incentive program that has resulted in over $800,000 in improvements to Downtown properties. Through all intakes, a 3:1 private public investment has been made with a majority of the money being retained in the community.
In 2020, the entire Town of Hanover was designated to be covered by the Community Improvement Program (CIP) and the menu of incentives was enhanced to target specific types of growth and investment.